Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ho No! It's that time of year again...

Just when you think you've seen that last bedraggled Christmas wreath come off a neighbour's house it's time for the cycle to start up again. In a strange version of Groundhog Day we seemingly repeat the exact same pattern year after year. The only thing that changes is the guest list at the random parties which populate the 'silly season'. While this puts me in the dangerous territory of sounding like a grinch I actually love the whole build up to Christmas. I think it comes from seeing your nieces and nephews react with such excitement counting down the days till they can maul a pile of shiny toys and dresses. 

Bison Decorations.  Image: David Plummer
Growing up in the country we had the 'Carols by Candlelight'. This ritual was the equivalent of giving a pack of matches to a pyromaniac (or several hundred children under 7!) Small wonder the local CFA Brigade stood by with a tanker. Apart from the annual butchered pine tree and it's sticky, yet sweet aroma, what stood out for me was decorating the house. Possibly I should have seen the warning bells at a younger  age but doing the tree was always my responsibility. I also remember being concerned that people could see up the angel's dress. What brings me to this point is that we are now making our decorations... including several new ones... as we have done at Bison for the past ten years. What started out as gift tags for nephews has morphed to become a annual event for all of my staff. If you drop by our Canberra store and peep in the studio window you may even see our elves making some!

Ho...Ho...Ho!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment