Sunday, September 4, 2011

Lazy Sunday...Not!

Latte Bowls. Back by popular demand!
After a hectic period in the studio I envisaged a couple of days of lazing at home drawing some new shapes  or working on concepts. That however was not to be! I spent a good deal of Saturday loading a kiln at Bison of which I glazed about ninety percent of the stock. It's a really useful practice to know all the aspects of your business and even more so with utilitarian objects. When the studio is empty I just turn on ABC radio and enjoy the rhythm of roll-glazing or finishing the pieces in the spray booth. Packing the kiln becomes an experience as you try and fit as many objects in as possible. 

Most of the load from the Saturday evening firing. Workbench courtesy of my grandfather.
I thought it might be interesting for you to see actually how much Bison can fit into a kiln and how it looks as it comes out. I actually fired this load until 9.30pm on Saturday evening and unloaded it Sunday about noon. The pieces are stacked on the workbench (actually from my grandfather's toolshed) and then allocated or taken in to our Canberra store. They are often still warm from the firing and I love to see the expression on people's faces when they realise they are still cooling. We pride ourselves on our quality and our loss rate can be as low as 2 - 3 percent. 

Bottom shelf of kiln. Illustrates how we pack the load.
Photos: Brian Tunks

2 comments:

  1. Love those latte bowls Brian, I have been buying my share and spreading the word to friends & colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More than welcome David...rest assured..I haven't drawn breath since we started making them again. Glad people love the shape. Best Brian

    ReplyDelete